Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Vegan Molasses Cookies

Do they look like baby poop? Yes.

Are they delicious? Also yes.

Madly scrambling for a vegan cookie recipe this weekend, I happily found this lil gem. Less happily, I lacked half the ingredients as well as the time to go fetch them. Back to happy-- I worked a little improv baking and the result was the crazy awesome gingerbread thing. (Though I could see a little ginger going a long way in this recipe, and I plan to try that sometime soon.)


Here's my version of the recipe:
  • 2 cups plus 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp corn starch mixed with 3 tbsp water
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
  • 1/2 cup molasses (and maybe a little more)
  • about 1/2, 3/4 cups water
Oven to 325. In a small bowl, mix up the first 6 ingredients and set aside. In a big bowl, mix together all the rest (except for the water), starting with the cornstarch mixture. Make sure to get all the brown sugar blended in. Gradually You know what, you're supposed to do it gradually, but frankly I dump the whole dry mixture into the wet at once. Blend it well, then add the water. Now, it's going to look runny. Disturbingly runny. Keep stirring. Or let it sit for a moment while you check the score of the [home team] game. It will miraculously firm up!! Spoon out a little spoonful onto your cookie tray and watch it NOT RUN ALL OVER! (Okay this part was a big deal for me.) Bake for 10 minutes only and they retain that soft, chewy, fluffiness we all love to chomp on.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate your comments :o)